Monday 2 September 2013

"I KNOW NIGERIA,IT'S A BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY..." - MALAWI COACH SAINTFIET

Tom Saintfeit, the head coach of Malawi national football team has declared that he has nothing against Nigeria following the mind game that has trailed the crucial World Cup qualifier between both countries on September 7 at UJ Esuene Stadium in Calabar.

The Flames of Malawi need to win the game to knock the African champions chances of qualifying for the World Cup, and to progress to the final playoffs for Brazil 2014.

The Belgian, who failed to secure a technical director's job with Nigeria's FA, however, debunked insinuations that he was out for mind games against the backdrop of Nigeria's ill-handling of the botched contract. He restated his stance on the choice of Calabar, South-South Nigeria as venue for the game stressing that it was the position of the Malawian FA.

"I know Nigeria, it's a beautiful country of great footballing potentials but I am at the moment coach of Malawi and I speak the mind of millions of Malawians. I never made any personal complaint to FIFA against the venue. My federation raised the fear over security and as the National team coach I speak the position of the federation," Tom Saintfeit stated.

Citing a British Foreign and Commonwealth Office advisory report that described Calabar as a no-travel area because of fears of terrorism and violent crime, he said that Malawi was forced to request FIFA to move the game. "When we travel travelled to Rwanda and Zambia, we always had cause to assess the security situation as professionals."

The Belgian also commented on the Eagles' coach, Stephen Keshi's racial remarks about him as unfortunate.

"Everyone heard the comment from my colleague coach Mr. Keshi and it is very disappointing what he said about me. In football we have to respect each other. My lawyers are on it and I prefer to face the match and not talk about other issues for now. I have no expectation from FIFA but the world football governing body has rules on racism. It's up to FIFA to decide."

He further expressed confidence in the Flames to stun the Super Eagles even though odds favoured the African champions.

"I am not afraid of Nigeria's opposition, our positive attitude and confidence will be a boost. Nigeria's team is star-studded but we are not scared either."

The Malawian team is due in Nigeria on September 4 after a tune-up game against Botswana, from where they will fly directly to Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment